Tuesday, January 27, 2009


I heard Bon Iver early last fall. The song "Skinny Love" almost made me call my therapist, you know, I felt like I could use a check up.  I kept his first album For Emma, Forever Ago on repeat all winter. I even went to see him play at Johnny Brenda's when he stopped in town. A real wintery album, Bon Iver takes a cold grey evening and conveys it through his falsetto and squeaky acoustic guitar. 

Over night it seemed like everyone was feeling that desperate mid-western man's story. He went from being a mysterious self-recorded musician to a folk enthusiasts regular. 
Bon Iver just released his second record Blood Bank on Jagjaguwar and let me tell you he hasn't lost a bit of his icy chill. 
The four song EP is beautiful and simple, no departure from the lonesome sounds I fell in love last year. Yep, I think I'm gonna have to give the doctor a call.


No comments: